Sunday, November 14, 2004

The Fundamental Things Apply Themselves
Ah, bliss. After arguably the two worst weeks in my life, when I felt both a profound philosophical disappointment (the election) and a terrible health scare for my brother, I think I saw a sign tonight of better things to come. Thomas Pynchon ascended to the ranks of Phil Hartman, Jon Lovitz and Albert Brooks, returning as a semi-regular guest voice on the season premiere of "The Simpsons."

Culturally, this is as good as it gets for me. Ever. This is my Stravinsky meets Picasso meets Brecht. (Okay, maybe if Husker Du reunited, or better yet were teleported across time, to rock out with Pynchon and the Simpsons, that would be my Stravinsky meets Picasso meets Brecht. Call this my Picasso meets Einstein. Hercules Einstein!) Admittedly, this thought is both exhilirating and a little depressing.

They say tragic times lead to great art. It's on. "V-licious," indeed.

edit: Here's a great New Yorker cartoon related to the issue at hand, drawn by Roz Chast.

No comments: